Elisabeth

Elisabeth

søndag 13. september 2015

How can you be a serious political scientist while blogging?

This weekend I had a very interesting conversation with a lawyer and economist. Having heard that I had a blog she asked me how I could be a serious graduate student in political science while blogging. It is easy to associate a blog with so-called "pink bloggers" (rosabloggere), such as Sophie Elise in Norway and celebrities like Kim Kardashian.

I am no great blogger that can live off income from advertising on the blog. My blog is only an insight into a normal life. I have traveled a lot, and it is nice to be able to share these experiences. In addition, I think it is fun to show people that political scientists do more than analyzing statistics and writing articles in newspapers. There is a huge diversity of different people with different interests.

Maybe I do not fall within the norm of a serious scientist. The economist I spoke with pointed out that having a blog can count negatively in a job search process. I see this point, but at the same time, I think that there could be worse things than writing a blog. For example, provocative and stalling photos on Facebook might be more negative. However, to be on the safe side: Dear future employer, if you read my blog after googling my name, I hope the fact that I write about more than politics, do not mean you will not hire me.

Ingen kommentarer:

Legg inn en kommentar